Sep 8, 2016

How to make a succulent centerpiece


I have been dying to get in on this succulent action ever since a wedding we attended last year! Our friends had handcrafted their own centerpieces filled with gorgeous succulents and needless to say, I was drooling.... Over the Labor Day Weekend, since the little one and man were away, momma decided to get crafty and see if I could recreate the same look. {and i'm happy to say it was way easier than i'd anticipated it being!} 

Since I have what's known as a "brown thumb" I was apprehensive about the idea of having to plant my own succulents at first....i've embarrassingly never planted a single thing in my entire life. {That, and, i'm also sort of a serial killer of all plant life despite my best efforts} But apart from being a little messy it wasn't difficult {and actually I can totally see now why gardening is so therapeutic...i felt like a protective mama bear as i carefully got them all set up and safe} And with each succulent costing only $3-$5 a piece, this project was fun and affordable to do! Plus I have heard that these little guys are the most resilient plantlife out there....so maybe I can finally break this curse of mine...




Truthfully, the "hardest" part of this entire venture was perusing the nursery for the arrangement I wanted. Not because it wasn't organized, but because I am disastrously indecisive.... But with some patience {and a lot of reverting back to saved Pinterest photos for inspo} i was able to come out with the perfect variety and color combo. {even the cashier to rang me up complimented it....which i will brag about forever 'cuz that's a first!} I'm forgetful so i just tucked my guys in the arrangement i wanted inside the crate so that i could keep it that way when i started planting. 





Now I know my friends had crafted their own boxes when they made their's...but honestly? Who has time for that? So I just purchased this one at Armstrong's for $20. I'm sure you could fashion your own for a fraction of the cost if you were feeling ambitious, which i was not. This crate is about 4x16 inches just to give you an idea of what i used. Because this is my new dining room centerpiece....i didn't want it to be too massive. I will, on the other hand, be purchasing a longer one to put on our patio next go around. 

The only materials you need besides your succulents and your wooden planter is some cactus soil! So simple, i love it! 




All you have to do is fill your planter with about 3/4 full of cactus soil and then create a little pocket or hole for the width of the plant. You gently remove the plant from it's plastic container {and be careful not to squish any of it's little roots} and then place it inside the pocket and cover with more soil. I ended up switching some of the arrangement around only 'cuz I realized that they didn't quite fit the way I'd had them at first. But I was able to make room for them all. 



Then I decided to give them some direct sunlight and water them fully before bringing them inside. They do best in direct sunlight but luckily my dining room gets plenty of afternoon sun. Even though they don't require much watering I think i'll probably just move them outdoors when it's time....you only water when their soil is dry to the touch. And even then the guy at the store told me it's probably best for me to use a spray bottle so that I don't over water them by accident. 



They were all so cuuuute after their bath ;)

And there you have it! Have you guys done any gardening? If so, what kind of plants do you favor and why? I'm searching for more to add to the house and I'd love your advice on what to get....keep in mind that i am new at this whole keeping-plants-watered-and-alive thing....but i'm hoping to improve! 

Up next: I'll show you how I made this super fun hanging macrame planter for under $10! 

❤︎,


No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts: