Aug 29, 2016

DIY OMBRÉ WALL DECOR


Happy Monday ladies! Ughhh, the weekend always seems to go by too fast, doesn't it? To make the most out of my time off I decided to spruce up the home a bit. {which is coming together at a snail's pace, sadly}

Most of the time, the little bit I have to lounge at home, is spent picking up the mess that ensues from having a small child— but luckily, this easy-to-do project kills two birds with one stone!…It adds some much needed love to my walls and it kept someone's little hands occupied with something other than cluttering….{hey, that's just what kids do….}


I've seen numerous tutorials for projects similar to this on YouTube since forever, but I finally decided to give it a go {cuz I love bohemian everything and ombre just makes it that much more fun} and I'm really happy with the way that it turned out. Eventually I'll be attempting another macrame hanging for my living room but since that will be covering a much larger wall space, I figured I'd start off in baby steps. This little DIY project was not only beginner-friendly but super cheap to purchase all of the materials as well! {ps: everything I used was picked up at Michael's Craft Store}

You'll need: 

  • 3 thin wooden dowels {I purchased 2 long ones and broke them in half}
  • 3 different shades of yarn in similar colors
  • twine or jute
  • scissors
  • hammer and picture mount
  • a large glass of wine {optional}

Start by cutting your dowels into halves…mine was actually too thick to cut into with scissors, but I was able to start the cut and then cleanly break them by hand. 


Then you can measure your yarn depending on how long you want yours to hang. I wanted mine to be about a foot and a half. And since they're folded over to make the knot, you're just going to double that. So each piece I made was about a yard. To simplify this process I just roped the yarn and then made a cut in one end. But I suppose you could do each piece individually as well….if you have the patience. ;)


To make your hanging full enough you'll want to make bundles of about 10 strings. And you'll be making about 7-10 of those bundles. 


Then you'll attach each bundle by knotting it to the dowel. To do this you're just going to put the looped side underneath the dowel and then pull up the hanging ends up and through the loop. Pull down to tighten and secure the knot. I left about an inch of space between each knot {except for the top layer, which I added to at the end}





You're going to do the same process for each color until all 3 dowels are completed. Cut the ends of each color so that they're in a straight line…you can choose to leave it as is at this point or, like i did, you can taper the ends into a "V". {Which i just thought looked cuter….} Then using the twine or jute, you can fasten the 3 dowels to one another about an inch apart and then cut a length of it to make your "hook" to hang it from. {I seriously just eyeballed this and it was a no-brainer….}



When it's done it'll look like this. I'd picked up some different textured yarn while I was at the store not knowing what i'd use it for, but I'm glad that I did because it didn't look quite "finished" yet, so I used some of that texture to give it some dimension. And it definitely helped to make it look more whimsical. 





And that's it! Now you can sit back and admire your new wall art!….while your mini-me gets creative with your scraps ;) Check out the tribal dance accessories that Dominique is now wearing around the house everyday. LoL. She cracks me up…


I hope you guys have fun making this DIY wall decor! If you decide to try it let me know how it turns out! There's a lot of ways you can make it your own; in fact, I've already been inspired to make another one for the bedroom possibly, in different color schemes and fabrics. So tell me, what textiles would you choose? What colors? And where would you hang yours? Share your thoughts, 'cuz, as always, I love to hear your insight and feedback about what you like me to post about here on the blog :) ….aaaand….happy monday! 

❤︎,









No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts: